Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Minivan

Trading in our zippy Mercedes wagon for a used, Dodge minivan was bittersweet. Our baby boy was getting bigger, and we knew we wanted to have a second child. Kids come with a lot of gear and very large car seats, so the smaller car just wasn’t practical anymore.

I never pictured myself driving a minivan. Minivans are not cool or hip no matter what kind of a spin you put on it. I’m sorry – they’re just not. They are, however, practical. Minivans also hold a lot of stuff.

It was thrilling the first time I took the minivan to the hardware store to pick up several large sheets of plywood for a project I had going. The guy helping me carry the wood out to the car was sure that it wouldn’t all fit when I told him I hadn’t had time to take the seats out. My mini-van and I had been together for several months at that point, and I had gotten to know it pretty well. I was confident in my plan – without even pulling out a measuring tape to double-check. As it turned out, I was able to slide all five sheets of wood in behind the front seats and then slide the door closed with no problem.

It may not be glamorous or get great gas mileage but the minivan does shuttle us around town without a problem. If I were able to get to the carwash more often, I might even pull up to the valet parking from time to time… or maybe not. It is still a minivan, and I am still that vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment